Saturday, October 2, 2010

Confessions of this Shopaholic

What is it about fashion that drives me to continuously shop and buy new things, even if I don't have the means to do so?  I was once told that those who are unable to find the beauty in nature will never be happy.  They will always want more, endlessly searching for unattainable satisfaction.  Being one of these "nature non-appreciators", I found myself wondering if the reason I was never satisfied with what I had really was because I couldn't see the beauty of nature.
I was thrown a rope, however, when Dr. Housefield explained that design is a quest to capture that which is elusive.  It means never settling at being satisfied, and always trying to capture the invisible, and things that are still in a state of becoming.  This brought me to a new conclusion, that the reason I have never been satisfied is not because I am unable to appreciate nature, but only because I am irrevocably bound to design.  My driving need to have more, this never ending hunger and thirst for the 'new', is the force that motivates me to start up this quest, even knowing that there is no end.
I know I'll be ok, though.  I have never been satisfied with settling, and I will continue to follow the lead of other designers who have started before me, carving my mark into the design world with persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment