Friday, October 1, 2010

Driving through the Alphabet

Have you ever wondered what a font made by a car would look like?

Toyota enlisted the help of two typographers (Pierre & Damien), a software designer (Zach Lieberman) and a pro race pilot (Stef van Campenhoudt) to create a font using a car.  The car was marked with four colored dots, which was recorded by a camera.  This information was sent to software which tracked the four dots in real time and output the result of the tracking.  Through this method, the typographers were able to design a very readable, driveable, and aesthetically pleasing font that the public is able to download for free, off Toyota's website here.
I felt that it would be fun to share the origins of one of the fonts I used in making my banner for my blog layout.  I like discovering unusual new things that people have designed because these things open my mind to new inspirations and ideas in my own designing.
I hope to share my own personal design discoveries, inspirations, and thoughts.  Design is elusive, hard to explain and define.  Despite this, I hope to cherish an open mind, and think impossible on this never-ending quest.
And thus, I make a wish upon design to guide me and help me carve out my own path to my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment