Monday, November 22, 2010

Free Book?

Today, as I was walking to my psychology class from the Olson building, I was confronted by a man who was handing out free books.  Being familiar with the many free bibles that people pass out on campus, I felt myself acting wary as I was asked if I wanted a copy of the free book.  He mentioned that the book came with a musical accompaniment.  In the end, I was inclined to take a copy.
Walking away, I glanced at the back cover of the novel.  I was reminded of Brian Fies' talk, when he said that he liked drawing comics in which the image and the words worked together.  The book, titled Wild Animus, was described as being like "...climbing, skiing, or intense adventuring, " by Mike Libecki of Climbing Magazine.  The author, Rich Shapero was said to have "...crafted a new art form that intricately interweaves book and music...[that] experienced as a whole, the music expresses the emotional core of the story and the novel serves as its narrative shell."  Since the book uses music to accompany the story-telling, I felt myself intrigued as to how it would feel reading a story with music.  Does the book tell you when to listen to the music? Or is the music merely a reading of the novel with background tunes inserted at certain parts?  I haven't had a chance to experience reading the book with music yet, but I hope that I will have time to see how it feels to read a book with music that is made especially for the novel.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, a book with music! That sounds cool! Tell me how it goes.

    ReplyDelete