Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Design and Struggle Behind Drawing BIG

For my beginning drawing class, we were given three choices: to draw A: 25- 8.5"x11" pieces, B: 6- 18"x24" pieces, or C: 3- 38"x50" pieces.  Me, being the foolishly idealistic person that I am, decided to choose option C, because I thought that it would be cool and fun to draw really BIG.  I realized short-after, however, when buying the paper I would need for the project, that 38"x50" was a LOT bigger than I had ever imagined.  As a result, I was excited because I thought, Wow, if I do a good job, I can frame these and they'll look really cool in my room!  What I forgot to think about, however, was how exactly I planned to go about drawing these huge pictures.
At first, I started out by measuring a grid so that I could get proportions right, but I soon discovered that trying to manipulate a 38"x50" piece of paper around a much smaller, 2'x2' table was nearly impossible.  It took me almost an hour to get the paper gridded successfully.  After experiencing the difficulty of drawing on a small table, I tried to think of a better way I could design my drawing surface so that I would easily be able to draw on the paper.  I thought of using the ground, but it's carpeted, and I thought of using the wall, but I had no tape.  In the end, I had to make a trip over to a store to buy lots of masking tape so I would be able to adhere my picture to the wall.
Being a beginner artist, and by no means having the materials or experience necessary to draw big, I feel quite proud of myself for decided to use the wall as a flat surface.  Although, since the paper is so large, I have a sinking feeling that even at my 5'8" frame, I will not be tall enough to draw on the wall for many hours.  After all, drawing on walls lacks the ergonomic properties necessary for prolonged activity, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment