Monday, November 1, 2010

Why So Backwards?

In this new age of technology and innovations, why are some things still so backwards?  For example, this morning, when I went to school, I had to park at a meter.  I found myself plagued, however, by the dilemma that I had only three quarters out of the six I would need in order to lawfully park in the space during my class.  Luckily, I was let out of class early so that I was able to move my car before receiving a ticket.  The fact that I was short on quarters had me thinking, why so backwards, parking meter?  
Since this technological age practically begs people to get credit cards, why are parking meters still at the point where they need coins in order to operate?  Why not have parking meters that are designed so that you can insert credit cards, debit cards, or even just dollar bills?  I mean, don't get me wrong, I have encountered the kind of parking lots where there is a meter you go up to in order to pay for the allotted time you want to park, but why is this not present everywhere?  In the film Objectified, the designer Rarid Rashid challenged us to think about why in this technological age, we still have things that are so backwards.  He said there is no excuse for us being uncomfortable in chairs, because there are multiple designers that have designed millions of chairs.  In that case, why were public places so laden with uncomfortable areas to sit?  With all the numerous designs floating around, why are people still forced to accept hard, uncomfortable seats?  After all, he said, it wouldn't make sense for us to be in our homes with our laptops and cellphones, then go outside and saddle up our horse and carriage to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment