Monday, November 8, 2010

Simplicity: iPhone 4

After having dealt with many annoying phones, I finally switched to an iPhone.  At first, I didn't get an iPhone because I liked the idea of using a full keyboard.  The phone I had before the iPhone 4 was the Samsung Impression.
It was a touch screen, with a full keyboard, and it was a blueish color.  When I first saw it, I thought it was a very pretty phone.  The first day after I got it, I was very excited to use my new unlimited data and unlimited texting plan.  I spent most of the day using the phone almost nonstop until night, when the phone started lagging and failing to perform the way it did when I first got it.  My text messages stopped sending, and the phone just "died", for lack of a better word.  I was very annoyed because, after all, it was the first day, so the phone shouldn't be failing so quickly. Soon after, I learned that since the phone was "like a PC", I had to "reboot" the phone by turning it off and turning it back on again to get it to work well again.  After this realization, I found myself having to reboot my phone multiple times a day.  Eventually, I had to replace the phone because the keyboard stopped working at times and then the screen went blank when I opened up my keyboard to type.
Less than a month later, the refurbished replacement that I got also broke.  The inner speaker stopped working, so I had to speak on speakerphone in order to hear the person on the other side.  I was in a complete hate-hate relationship with my phone.  My phone hated me, and I hated it back just as much.
This hatred drove me to switch to an iPhone 4, even with the threat of an "early upgrade fee".  I was fed up with my old phone, keyboard or not, and was ready to try the iPhone 4. 

After a rather frustratingly long time at Apple, where I felt I knew more than the "genius", since the "genius" ended up pulling my brand new iPhone by the charging cable, while it was connected and supported by the iPhone box.  Obviously, as a result of pulling a slightly heavy object by a cord that didn't have the ability to support it off of a raised surface, the heavy object would fall off the raised surface and hit the lower surface, the table.  Long story short, the Apple "genius" pulled my iPhone off the box and I watched it hit the table.  Luckily, it didn't do any damage.
My mild irritation at Apple was forgotten, however, when I started playing with my new phone.  The iPhone was much more user friendly than my own phone, and I found myself wondering why I waited so long to switch.  The iPhone didn't need to be rebooted every day just so I could send text messages, and the interface was much simpler and easier to use.  All I know now is, I am so glad I made the switch.  At first, I was wary of the touchpad being hard to text on, but I have found that it really isn't that bad.  It isn't as nice as having a full keyboard, but it is much nicer than having a phone that fails to do even the most basic of all phone operations correctly: make a phone call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment