Monday, October 11, 2010

Random Treasures

Every once in awhile, I will come across something in the world that absolutely fascinates me.  At that moment, I reach into my purse and pull out my camera so I can take a picture.  On Sunday morning, upon waking up, I was surprised to see a rainbow on the plastic dining room table chair.  I wondered, where did this interesting rainbow come from?  Upon waking, my friend also was puzzled by this random rainbow on the chair, so we set out to find out where it came from.
Moving away from the rainbow, we kept putting our hands out to see how far we could move away from the chair so that the rainbow was still reflected on our hands.  
Eventually, we figured out that the light actually came from the front door.  The sunlight was streaming in through the peephole on the front door and reflected a rainbow of light onto the first surface it was blocked by, which was the chair.  This got me thinking about how nature can work with manmade things to create something different and unique that inspires people to design.  
Later that day, when we were eating lunch, I picked up a piece of popcorn chicken that resembled a small animal.  Fascinated by this random occurrence, I found myself snapping up a couple of pictures of this piece of chicken.
The angle that I picked up the chicken allowed me to notice it in a way that reminded me of a dog.  However, if I had picked it up at a different angle, or if I wasn't really paying attention, I would have eaten it without ever knowing that I had missed a piece of chicken shaped like a dog.  Despite knowing that this random occurrence is not necessarily manmade, but only accidental, I find myself wondering, is it 'design' to be inspired by these random treasures and discoveries of life?

1 comment: